Learn all the basic steps to make your first quilt! In this class you will learn rotary cutting, 1/4" seam piecing, borders, basting, straight-line quilting, and binding. Note: in this class we will be making the baby size, approximately 48" x 57".
This class requires basic knowledge of how to use your sewing machine. You must be able to sew a straight(ish) line and completely thread (including the bobbin) your machine on your own.
Fabric and batting
- the Yellow Brick Road pattern (available at QA)
- 6 fat quarters (for baby size)
- 1 3/8 yd for border and binding (you may want to wait until the center is together for this)
- Backing: 3 yds (not needed until fourth class)
- Batting: Throw size or 1 1/2 yards Quilters Dream Select 100% cotton batting from the bolt
- Rotary Cutter (new blade)
- 18" x 24" mat or larger
- 6 1/2" (or wider) x 24" rotary cutting ruler. We recommend Omnigrip or Creative Grids brands.
- 9 1/2" square ruler (or larger)
-Sewing machine must be in good working order. If you have not had your sewing machine serviced within the past year, please do so before class.
- Sewing machine manual & accessories
- 1/4 inch sewing machine foot (recommended)
- Sharps (Microtex) needles size 80/12 or 90/14
- Good quality piecing thread - 50 or 60 wt Mettler Silk Finish, Konfetti, or Aurifil. Dual Duty will not work for quilting!
- Sewing supplies: Seam ripper, scissors, pins, marking chalk or similar, etc.
- Pencil and paper for notes
These items are needed for the fourth class:
- 1" or 1 1/2" Safety pins (straight or curved)
- Quilting needles size 90/14 (optional)
- Walking foot (if you don't have one, we can order you one during the first class)
- Quilting thread (we can choose your color during class)
- Blue Painter's tape or Masking tape at least 1" wide
- Wonder clips or binder clips
All supplies (except some machine feet and painter's tape) are available at Quilting Adventures. We are happy to help you select the appropriate fabrics and supplies for your class and count on your support for this small, locally owned business in order to bring you high quality merchandise and excellent class instruction. As a student, you will receive a 10% discount on all supplies for the class in which you are enrolled.
If your class starts at the same time that we open, we will let you into the shop ten minutes before class time.
In consideration of other students and employees with allergies, please limit your use of scented personal products when attending one of our classes.
If your class calls for a book or pattern, each student needs their own copy of that book or pattern. Under federal copyright law, books and patterns may not be shared.
If your class requires a sewing machine, please be sure that you are familiar with its operation, it is in good working order, has been serviced recently, and bring your manual along to class just in case!
We do not allow children under the age of 18 in our classes without the consent of the teacher and the shop owner.
Only the person who is enrolled and paid for the class may be in the classroom during class time. Out of consideration for the teacher and the other students, please do not bring children, guests, or friends to class with you.
Cancellation policy: If the class minimum is not met within seven days prior to the class, it may be cancelled and you will be notified and will receive a full refund. Please keep this possibility in mind when you purchase supplies for your class. No refunds of class fees will be given if student cancels within the one week prior to class.
|Skill Level: ||Beginner|
|Skill Details: ||You must know how to use your sewing machine. You need to be able to thread the machine and the bobbin. You need to be able to sew a 1/4" seam somewhat straightish.|
|Instructor: ||Linda Brickey|
|Instructor Bio: ||Linda Brickey|